One in two women has experienced some form of sexual violence/harassment
One in two women (over 18 years of age) has experienced some form of sexual violence or harassment in her lifetime. Almost one in ten women (over 18 years) has been raped during her lifetime (9.2%). This amounts to around 409,000 women, according to new representative research conducted by the research agency MindBridge Consulting, for the proFem - Center for Victims of Domestic and Sexual Violence.
Quantitative data collection was conducted during August 2021 using the CAWI method (web-based interviewing) with a sample size of 1,000 respondents (a representative sample of the Czech population over 18 years of age). The aim of the survey was to find out what types of sexual harassment and/or violence women and men in the Czech Republic experience and how they deal with these situations. Sexual violence and harassment included rape, groping, verbal sexual harassment, being forced to engage in unpleasant sexual practices, receiving unsolicited photographs or videos with sexualized content, and others.
Main research results
- 54% of the women had experienced at least one form of sexual violence and/or harassment (which we have asked about in the questionnaire).
- One in three women had experienced more than one form of sexual violence and/or harassment in her lifetime.
- Almost one in ten women had been raped during her lifetime (9.2%). This amounts to 409,172 women in the Czech Republic.
- Verbal sexual harassment and groping, fondling, touching against the victim's will are the most common forms of sexual harassment/violence. First has been experienced by 33% of women, second by 31% of women.
- 17% of women have experienced receiving unsolicited videos or photos with sexualized content, and 12% of women have experienced unsolicited kissing or kissing against their will.
- Men are most likely to experience verbal sexual harassment, groping, fondling, touching against their will, and receiving unsolicited videos or photos with sexualized content. Compared to women, a significantly lower number of men experience sexual violence/harassment, and men also experience fewer forms of violence/harassment on average.